Associate Investment Consultant
As an associate consultant at Callan, you will assist Callan's senior consultants in all phases of services we provide to our institutional asset owner clients, including performance measurement, asset allocation, strategic planning, investment implementation, and general education. You will also help the consulting team with new business development efforts, and work closely with Callan's specialty research groups to provide asset allocation, implementation advice, manager research, and monitoring services to our clients.
Callan's investment consultants work directly with institutional asset owners to help them solve complex problems. As trusted advisers, they manage client relationships, as well as conduct investment research and strategic investment projects. Callan works with institutional clients (including corporate and public retirement plans, endowments and foundations, taxable trusts, insurance assets, for example) on either a discretionary or non-discretionary basis.
Our goal is to identify a candidate with strong skills, an ability to support existing clients, and the desire to build the knowledge and experience required to become a senior consultant in the future.
Please note: This position will be based in either Callan's San Francisco or Portland, OR locations. Our day-to-day environment is changing due to COVID-19, and Callan is committed to prioritizing your safety. Our ideal candidate will be able to adapt to these changes, which may mean initially working in a hybrid work schedule and, potentially, returning to the office full time, or reverting to fully remote work if necessary or required.*What's Unique About This Role?
Callan holds a unique position in the investment industry, working with asset owners, investment managers, custodians, and other service providers in an ever-changing capital market, legal, and regulatory environment. As an associate consultant, you will learn and grow as a trusted adviser. You will collaborate with teams throughout the company, and you will work with some of the highest quality and most complex asset owners to help them achieve their investment goals. Along with having an appreciation for Callan's unique and collaborative culture, your ability to demonstrate success in the skill sets we seek is of greater importance than years of experience. Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences.Primary Duties
Supporting Senior Consultants with Existing Clients
- Work as part of a consulting team on existing client relationships, supporting members of the West Coast Consulting group based in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle
- Facilitate work flow and manage the delivery of projects to clients, with the support and direction of senior consultants
- Coordinate work with Callan's specialty consulting teams, including our performance measurement, capital markets research, manager research, and defined contribution consulting groups
- Help create client-ready summary presentations based on material provided by our specialty consulting groups
- Attend meetings and assist in the delivery of these presentations to clients
- Assist senior consultants with custom research and respond to client requests as needed
- Be responsive to clients and colleagues and strive for excellence in all areas
- Contribute to topical white papers, blog posts, and other research from time to time
Prospective Clients/New Business Generation
- Assist senior consultants in responding to new business opportunities
- Research prospective clients and contribute to writing high-quality requests for proposal (RFPs)
- Assist senior consultants in the creation and customization of finals presentation materials
- Ability to work on multiple clients and support multiple consultants
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and confidently in writing and in presentations
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify numeric outliers
- Strong knowledge or ability to learn Microsoft Windows and programs (primarily Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to learn Callan's proprietary systems and applications
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Interest in the capital markets and institutional investment landscape
- Emphasis on team over self
- Ongoing desire to learn and a drive to improve
- Ability to work in a small- to mid-sized organization
- Willingness to ask questions unabashedly and listen intently, and ask for help when needed
- Belief that acting ethically is paramount in everything you do
- Willingness to hone writing and presentation skills while being open to feedback
- Understand the importance of attention to detail, strong organizational skills, prioritization of tasks, and meeting deadlines
- Commitment to fostering a collaborative and client-focused culture
- Value diversity, equity, and belonging as key tenets of an impactful culture and successful business
Education and Experience
- At least three to five years of industry experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree required
- CFA and/or CAIA preferred, or interest in pursuing either one or both designations
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
If interested, please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Associate Consultant – West Coast” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients' goals.
Callan has roughly 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. We are committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage all, especially women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, to apply for positions even if they do not necessarily check every box outlined in the job description.
*Subject to applicable law, only fully vaccinated employees will be permitted to enter Callan offices, travel on company business, and attend company sponsored events. A proof of vaccination will be required upon hire.