Investment and Portfolio Manager
We develop market-based solutions for social or environmental problems. While the philanthropic arm finances and supports social entrepreneurs, the corporate arm works with leading companies to turn them into a force for good.
We have offices in Latam, East Africa, India and Western Europe. Today, our portfolio already serves over 13 million people in emerging and developing countries. We are currently a global team of 50+ people with experience in entrepreneurship, consulting, venture capital, business incubation, finance and international development. We also work with an amazing community of freelance impact and business consultants, design thinking experts, startup catalysts and mentors for our projects.
Your Role & Tasks
We are looking for an Investment & Portfolio Manager starting as soon as possible. You will be part of the company’s mission to further scale our work and impact. You will have the opportunity to work on all aspects of the investment process and in some aspects of portfolio management. Your main responsibilities are to maintain a strong pipeline of businesses and prepare them to become investible deals. Major focus would be to build up a pipeline of strong deals (min 5), particularly in the WASH (Water, sanitation and Hygiene) and Waste sectors and preparing the small and growing businesses (SGB) to become investment-ready. You will collaborate with the Global Investment Manager throughout the investment process.
Your tasks include but are not limited to the following:
- Initial screening of businesses in the existing pipeline and supporting on developing the pipeline on an ongoing basis
- Conduct field visits and assess investment opportunities
- Performing due diligence processes for SGBs, including validation of the business and financial model, preparation of Review /Investment Committee meetings, determination of financing structure (equity and debt), preparation and negotiation of term sheets and contracts
- Coordinate and work closely with third party providers on legal and financial diligence and contract negotiation of potential investments.
- Working closely with SGB entrepreneurs in the portfolio in order to understand their needs and provide them with on-going support to develop and grow their businesses
- Ensuring monthly, quarterly and annual reporting is performed by the SGBs in the portfolio, ensuring due escalation of any issues (lack of reporting, underperformance, mission drift)
- Preparation of monthly local and quarterly portfolio reviews
- Continuous improvement of the portfolio management processes, including reporting and tracking tools to monitor and evaluate the social and financial impact, as well as the processes that ensure that adequate resources are matched to the needs of the entrepreneurs
- Building up, structuring and managing the set-up of joint venture initiatives and projects with multinational companies in close cooperation with the multiple stakeholders
- Participating in global workstreams on a variety of topics contributing to the development of the company globally i.e. working with team members at headquarters and other country teams to support on a diverse range of topics including: development of new tools, processes and products, impact assessment, research etc.
- Collaborating closely with the international Investment and Portfolio team on Fund-related topics
- Any other activities dealing with the day-to-day or long-term business continuity and serving the purpose of advancing our company
- Solid experience with and a proven track record in Impact Investing, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration
- Strong financial modelling experience and deep understanding of debt and semi equity structures
- Relevant work experience in India;
- Analytical approach
- Entrepreneurial mindset, self-driven and can-do mentality
- You have a passion for impact investing and the ventures we invest in
- Independent work style and a quick learner
- A high level of personal integrity and teamwork spirit
- Able and willing to travel for up to 30% of your time
What we have to offer
As an India-based investment professional, you will be able to work remotely, in a flexible and high performing environment with team members from all around the world. We fiercely believe our passion overrides the distance between us and gives us opportunities to build and scale impactful businesses.
We are a network organization, and we work with partners and freelancers to build scalable solutions to the biggest problems of our times. You will have the chance to tap this network and work on the forefront of impact-driven business projects. You will interact with successful, early- to mid-stage environmentally-conscious and social entrepreneurs across the globe. You will get a chance to shape an exciting field of work at the interface between business and climate protection.
We are an outcome-driven organization with flat hierarchies, focused on creating impact while maintaining a healthy focus on the well-being of our colleagues. We are looking for committed, teamwork-oriented people to join us. You will receive a comprehensive introduction to our team and processes while providing the space to develop your own solutions; new ideas are particularly welcome.
We believe in equal opportunities. We cherish diversity and try our best to build an inclusive team.
- Location: remote, based in India
- Contract Format: full-time
- 30% Travel
- Contract start: as soon as possible
- How to apply
Please email your CV and cover letter, including your remuneration expectation by Dec 15, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.