Consultant - Real Assets Consulting
About the Position
As a senior-level consultant in the Real Assets Consulting group, you’ll maintain a full client load, which includes providing real assets investment consulting services to large retirement plans, endowments, foundations, or other similar types of asset pools. Our goal is to identify a candidate with deep investment knowledge, intellectual curiosity, an insatiable interest in capital markets, and a true appreciate for the value of building strong relationships with clients.
Please note: Our day-to-day environment is changing rapidly due to COVID-19, and Callan is committed to prioritizing your safety. Our ideal candidate will be able to adapt to these changes, which means initially working remotely, moving to a hybrid work schedule, and potentially returning to the office full time.*
What’s unique about this role?
In this role, you’ll be part of the team responsible for evaluating real estate, timberland, farmland, and infrastructure investment strategies and managers. As a collaborative team member, you’ll work closely with clients to develop portfolio strategies, pacing plans, investment policy, and to find investment managers that best suit the clients’ needs. You’ll also participate in producing topical and actionable research and education, which is vitally important to Callan and all members of the Real Asset Consulting team’s research initiatives.
Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences. Collaborating with diverse teams throughout the company, you’ll work with some of the highest quality and most complex clients in the country to help them achieve their investment goals. Along with having an appreciation for Callan’s unique and collaborative culture, your ability to demonstrate success in the skill sets we seek is of greater importance than your years of experience.
- Depending on your experience level, act as the lead or back-up consultant to approximately three to five client relationships, generating more than $500,000 in revenues per year through servicing clients and bringing in new business
- Working with other Real Assets consultants and applicable Callan oversight committees, you’ll direct and deliver client work for the real assets asset class in a timely and proactive manner:
- Strategic planning: Strategy allocation, manager structure, investment policies
- Plan implementation: Conducting manager due diligence, evaluations, searches
- Performance evaluation: Monitoring existing client portfolios through reviewing quarterly performance measurement reports and manager due diligence
- Research and education: Researching and responding to all client requests
- Support research activities by covering segments within Real Assets and become an expert in the identified areas.
- Actively participate and add value to the Callan research initiatives through writing research papers, workshop delivery, and educational seminar participation.
- Proactively work on projects that help the firm as a whole.
- Represent Callan well at industry events, manager conferences, etc.
- Guide and motivate colleagues and foster a team environment.
- Encourage excellence and increased knowledge.
- Support Callan’s culture and philosophy.
- Deep knowledge of the real assets capital markets in general and the investment landscape in particular
- Ability to form supportable opinions and succinctly communicate such to coworkers and clients
- Demonstrated experience sourcing and developing new client relationships
- Ability to work with a team in a collegial fashion
- Success managing multiple client relationships and projects simultaneously
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and confidently in writing and in presentations
- Demonstrated passion for learning and seeking new ideas
- Fantastic sense of humor. (Trust us. You’ll need it.)
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Emphasis on team over self
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Ongoing desire to learn and a drive to improve
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- CFA or CAIA preferred
Compensation and Benefits and Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners. Visit our Careers webpage to learn more about Callan’s culture, benefits, and more.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional office throughout the U.S
Please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Real Assets Consultant” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Callan LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
*Subject to applicable law, only fully vaccinated employees will be permitted to enter Callan offices, travel on company business, and attend company sponsored events. A proof of vaccination will be required upon hire.