Senior Portfolio Manager - Direct Index
Charles Schwab Investment Management (CSIM) is the asset management arm of the Charles Schwab Corporation. CSIM delivers a wide variety of products including mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and money market funds within Schwab Asset Management Solutions (SAMS). The overall SAMS team is passionately committed to providing solutions that help Schwab clients achieve their financial goals.
SAMS is looking to offer direct index separately managed accounts to Schwab’s large network of clients. SAMS is seeking a Senior Portfolio Manager, Direct Index to help lead our effort with building out our investment process, technology platform, and investment team to support this important growth opportunity.
What you are good at
- Work with Head of Passive Equities to design scalable investment process to deliver customized direct index solutions to Schwab clients
- Work with CSIM Technology and other business partners to design and develop investment platform to support direct index accounts at scale
- As the business grows, help recruit and manage a team of portfolio managers
- Provide intellectual and content leadership – in the form of commentary, publications and speeches – on direct indexing.
- Collaborate effectively with fellow investment leaders at SAMS, as well as colleagues in sales, marketing and product.
- In particular, work with the product groups on articulating the direct indexing value proposition and possible use cases.
- Investment Acumen and Credibility: Keen understanding of direct index investment process. Outstanding analytical skills, particularly with tax lot optimization techniques, coupled with reasoned judgment and qualitative insights that drive excellence in investment leadership. An ability to drive a disciplined and systematic investment process.
- People Management and Collaboration Ability: Strength at building a team of talented investment professionals and optimizing their performance. Able to motivate, mentor, and lead by example. Able to collaborate with client-facing, sales and marketing teams on activities that both further the success of the business. Fosters a culture of analytical rigor.
- Effective Communications Skills: Excellent communication skills (written and verbal). Commands the attention and respect of various audiences. A clear and credible presentation style. A great ambassador for the firm.
SAMS is a matrixed organization, thus, the successful candidate displays outstanding collaboration skills and has experience building partnerships across an organization.
What you have
- 10+ years managing passive equities and tax optimized direct index accounts
- 5+ years recruiting, developing, and managing team of portfolio managers
- CFA designation and/or post-graduate degree with a quantitative discipline