Senior Research Analyst - Matthews Asia Growth and Income Fund
TITLE: Senior Research Analyst
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (¡§Matthews Asia¡¨)
Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Founded in 1991, Matthews Asia specializes in investing in Asia¡¦s equity and fixed income markets for institutions, intermediaries, and retail investors worldwide. For over 25 years our bottom-up, active investment approach has focused on identifying the most attractive long-term growth opportunities in Asia¡¦s diverse markets. Our portfolios typically feature low turnover rates and high active share, with holdings that differ significantly from their benchmarks. Our long-term perspective and culture of independent thinking facilitate our delivery of a consistent and distinctive value proposition to our clients and partners.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC, and Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
This position will report to the lead Portfolio Manager of the company¡¦s Matthews Asian Growth and Income strategy.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking an individual to join the Matthews¡¦ teams to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers.
Specifically, this individual will be responsible for conducting both qualitative and quantitative analyses, focusing on the analysis of industries, business models, economic moats, capital structure, management quality and valuations for Asian companies.
This role will be responsible for supporting and coordinating investment decisions for a series of SEC-registered mutual funds that take a lower volatility, quality approach to investing in Asian equity and convertible bond markets. The duties are as follows:
- Research and analysis of individual companies, as well as sector, regional and economic factors affecting issuers based in, or with significant exposure to Asia
- Stock selection
- Work within a team to conduct research and generate superior ideas to enhance risk-adjusted returns for the portfolio
- Asset allocation of the portfolio based on the changing environments of risks in macro-economy, different sectors, and individual equities and rebalance stock position
- Monitor the latest news/developments on the underlining stocks in the portfolio and evaluate the impacts on the stocks using a qualitative and quantitative method. Also, monitor macroeconomic news
- Meet with company management on a frequent basis through on-site company visits, conference calls and meetings in our own office
- Communicate with existing/potential investors/advisers on the fund¡¦s investment philosophy and methodology
- Collaborate with lead or co-portfolio manager
- Market fund, appear in media and conferences
- Bachelor's degree is required, Master¡¦s degree and/or CFA preferred
- At least 7 years of work experience in the investment management industry, buy-side experience essential
- Experience researching companies in Asia preferred
- Mandarin language required/strongly preferred
- Experience as a research analyst in the investment management industry required
- Distinct passion for investing and demonstrable experience in investment
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Strong understanding of financial statements
- High level of integrity
- Team player
- Communication skills - Ability to articulate clearly an investment case in writing and speech
- Willingness to travel to Asia is required
- Working knowledge of tools such as Bloomberg, FactSet, and strong excel skills
To apply for this position, please click here to submit your resume and application.
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.